Top-level domain which is known as TLD is one of the domain with the highest level in the rank of domain name system on the internet. The installation of the top-level domain is put in the end of the name space. For instance, the domain www.easylearning.com, the top level domain is .com.
In these time of nowadays, there are three top-level domains classified by Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA). Those are Global Top-level domain (gTLD), Country Top-level domain (cTLD) and Infrastructure domain. The different usage of the three TLD actually lays down on the separation of the networking which represents the owner of the websites. In this case, the domain pricing of these three top-level domains is also different due to the existence.
The 3 Top-Level Domains
- Global Top-Level Domain(gTLD)
Global top-level domain consists of three or more letters. Anyone can freely use the extension of gTLD except for those who are coming from military (.mil) and government (.gov). Only USA can use .mil and .gov. Therefore, if you find a website with .mil and .gov, they belong to USA.
Extensively, there are two sub classifications of global top-level domain (gTLD). The first one is named sponsored top-level domain (sTLD) owned by companies, organization, association, and certain field of individual such as .aero, .coop, and .museum. The second sub classification is unsponsored top-level domain (uTLD) such as .biz, .info, .name, and .pro.
- Country code Top-Level Domain (ccTLD)
ccTLD is commonly used by certain country only. For example, .id is the extension that is only used in Indonesia. It is impossible to find the domain .id in China in which Mandarin Language is used for national communication of that country.
- Infrastucture Top-Level Domain.
Infrastructure top level domain seems very strange due to the fact that this kind of domain will be predictably used for certain infrastructure project. There are only two kinds of infrastructure domains that are .arpa and .root.
List of Top-Level Domain
Bellows are the top-level domains which are commonly used by websites owners all over the world along with the functions:
- .com : used for commercial business.
- .co : used for networking technology
- .org : used for organization
- .info : used for informational webistes
- .biz : used for business website
- .pro : used for certain professional websites
- .jobs : used for human resources
- .travel : used for tourism industry
- .name : used for personal name
- .museum : used for museum
- .coop : used for cooperation
- .int : used for international
- .tv : used for televisions
- .aero : used for aero plane industry
- .arpa : used for Address and Routing Parameter
Understanding Top-Level Domain (TLD) is as important as having the domain by your own. The existence of top-level domain is crucial to decide the function of the domain. Why do you need to know about TLD? Well, it simply due to fact that before buying a domain you must know what classification of your domain will be in. For example, if you want to create website that is running on tourism, you must choose .travel to be your domain.